Friday, May 9, 2008

A Window to Your World

In the last several months, I've been lucky enough to be able to visit various friends of mine from high school and college. Even though I've known these people for years and years, I've realized that one thing is substantially different now than it was when I knew them at those respective times: the fact that many of them have their own places. Seeing how my friends choose to decorate their spaces (better insight when they have a whole apartment to themselves, but even just a bedroom and living area is illuminating) and how they live in those spaces has really given me some new insights into my old friends. One friend who I would have expected to have a fun and trendy bedroom went completely "grown up" and classy. Another friend who I expected to be more on the classy side went for fun decor (not that fun isn't classy!). One of my best friends who I would have expected to be on the messier side keeps her apartment pretty immaculate ("Everything in it's place" as she puts it) and another who I would have thought would be pretty laid back is really anal about dishes in the sink, etc. Who would have thought?

It's funny to realize what new contexts and situations can show me about friends I've known forever and thought I knew nearly everything about. Learn something new every day, I suppose. I would have thought I'd be a little weirded out to discover things so contrary to what I would expect of my close friends. But it's actually kind of fun to learn about these new sides of people... adds to the mystery of life and our friendships!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I really love taking note of people's "home" lives and what that might reveal about their personalities...or perhaps just their disposition. Some might say that my room suggests a need for an intervention of sorts.