Friday, May 30, 2008

The best way to build karma

A friend of a friend told me one time about how she has this theory that helping people move is the best way to build up karma in the world. It was such a little thing but it totally stuck with me, and it's something I've come to believe is really pretty true. But it's become more than a "karma building" thing for me. This sounds silly, but the process of helping people move has, to some extent, restored my faith in people and acts of kindness. I've helped several friends move in the last year or two, and each time I have been so impressed at how easily and readily people come together to help each other. With moving, it's exactly the kind of task where it goes about a million times quicker if you have several people doing it. So, really, the more people who volunteer, the less time and energy everyone has to put in. I mean, it's kind of fun too once you get into it. But let's be honest - I'm sure there are at least 10 things most people would prefer to do before carrying heavy boxes and furniture up and down stairs. It's exactly for that reason (yes, I realize how seriously sappy this sounds!) that I think there's something sort of 'moving' (really, no pun intended, I swear!) to see a group of people filing in and out of a house, carrying things, and helping out. It's sort of the epitome of coming together and teamwork and all that stuff that teachers try to instill in you in elementary school. And it's a very concrete way to demonstrate support and the fact that you would be there for a friend.

(Obviously you can help someone move without having deeper ties to them, but let me have my moment of sappy friendship-ness!).

No comments: