Thursday, May 29, 2008

Being the 'bigger person'

Rising above it. Taking the high road. Being the bigger person. Call it what you will. Deciding to do something you know is right or for the best even when it is not what you would prefer to do has many different names. What is never reflected in any of these phrases is the feeling that goes along with it. To put it very eloquently: it sucks.

Knowing that there is so much you could (and want to!) say, so many points you could make to put the other person in his/her place (or even just to make him/her aware of what you are thinking/feeling), and still not saying *any* of it is HARD. Might be one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life... and it takes every last ounce of self-regulation I have to really keep it up through the end. But I did, and I'm better for it.

Or something like that.

No comments: