Sunday, March 9, 2008

Time is Relative

In the last few months a lot of people I know have gotten in engaged. More specifically, a lot of people have gotten engaged after relatively little time together. It's gotten me thinking... some friends of mine knew each other 5-10 years before getting engaged. But in a lot of these recent engagements, the couples have known each other less than 2 years when they get engaged. They've been dating anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half. To me, that seems like relatively little time to be able to determine that you want to spend the rest of your life with that person. If I started dating someone now, I don't think I could picture that relationship ending in marriage a year from now. But if you think about it, a lot of movies and such show engagements happening after 10 months. Some of these people are a few years older than me, so I suppose that makes a difference too. But as a concept, it seems like that is such a small amount of time. I guess there is an argument to be made for the "when you know, you know" feeling. I have no idea what that would be like... I guess that might fall under the category of "you don't understand/believe it until it happens to you."

No comments: