Thursday, March 27, 2008

Once an RA, Always an RA

I got an email today about one of the students I'm TAing for. She hasn't turned in the latest assignment and hadn't responded to any emails inquiring where it is. It didn't seem like her, and I'd started to get a little worried. I told myself that I was just being my usual "jewish mother" self. But the email today was from one of the services that the health center on campus offers. It was basically indicating that there was some very stressful/traumatic event that happened to her recently, which was why she was missing class/not turning in assignments. I'm not really sure what my official role is as a TA, but my heart immediately went out to her and I wanted to help. My RA instincts kicked in... actually, my RA instincts kicked in about two weeks ago and now I feel really badly for not pursuing the issue further. I just knew something was wrong but what more could/should I have done? Likely nothing. So, to now have my instincts confirmed makes my inclination to be the RA/guidance that she needed even harder, because I know that wasn't my role.

1 comment:

Eric said...

u were a great RA though.