Thursday, March 27, 2008

Feeling Minnesota.

I went to see the play Third tonight with some friends. It's a great show, and if you have the chance (and are in the area) definitely go see it before it closes next week! Anyway, you can check out the website to see the description, but basically it is about a professor who accuses one of her students of plagiarism and the way that it causes her to ultimately question some things about her own beliefs/world view. Obviously, it seemed relevant to me given the academic context. But it also had some really good messages/struggles that can apply to people in general. People sometimes forget to re-assess their beliefs and views as they get older (something I've been realizing in various people in my life lately). It was cool to see that idea expanded in a way that applied more generally.

More than the actual messages of the show, though, was the feeling I got sitting in the Guthrie watching the play. I love the feeling of being a part of an audience that is really excited/moved/responsive to something we're watching. It works the same way for me with big concerts in arenas where everyone is screaming, close football games where fans are cheering, etc. etc. Tonight was that, plus the fact that I got to remember what I like so much about theater. And what I like so much about Minneapolis. I got to feel like a real person, a real adult going out in the world and taking advantage of cultural opportunities with friends. I got to appreciate a really good play. And I got to appreciate a city that offers such opportunities, reminding me why I like being in such a city. Nutshell: nights like this make me happy :-).

No comments: