Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm going on a trip and I'm taking...

Have you ever played the game "I'm going to grandma's house/on a trip and I'm bringing ___ in my suitcase" ? I don't know what the official name of that game is, but I am making up a variation of it, inspired by one of my best friends.

I'm going backpacking through Europe and I'm leaving behind...
- friends who betray my trust; who are fake/exclusive/catty; who don't value me as a person; who don't make time for their friends; who make me feel bad about myself
- parents who can't see that I'm an adult, or treat me on that level
- classes that are a waste of my time
- useless assignments that are a waste of my time
- professors who assign more work over spring break than they do during a normal week
- advisors who can't be bothered
- organizations/departments who keep throwing work at me because they think I have all this extra time
- last-minute meetings/assignments/requirements that I don't have time to fit into my schedule
- weeks upon weeks of sleep debt
- nights of cooking (or lack of any motivation to cook) for one person
- friends who are coupling off
- exams, papers, presentations of all kinds
- prelim exams
- colds
- pointless errands, phone calls, random tasks that take up so much time
- emails that never cease
- forgetfulness
- unhappiness/loneliness

I'm going backpacking through Europe and I'm taking with me...
- my choir
- my true friends
- my grandma
- my real research interests (once I find them??)
- books to read for fun
- music that makes me happy
- time to enjoy new places and the important people
- new memories that I make along the way
- inspiration and guidance from the few who are giving it to me
- hugs
- pictures
- smiles of little kids
- happiness
- friendship
- belongingness

No comments: