Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random conversations...

... with children.

In the span of about 20 minutes this morning, I had a conversation with a seven-year-old that covered the following topics:
- cabins 'up North' and fishing at the cabin (he taught me about different kinds of fish in the lake at his cabin)
- the difference between a mountain bike and a road bike (I explained)
- climbing mountains (vs. falling down one) (a mini version of ''would you rather...'')
- race cars (and possibly monster trucks? he was trying to explain a particular type of car to me, and I still have no idea what he was thinking of)
- DUIs and why drunk driving is dangerous (in all seriousness, he asked why it was bad.)
- things a kid could be arrested for (again, he asked how a kid can get arrested -- presumably because it is much more common for an adult to get arrested)
- bullies
- paper airplanes (complete with a lesson in making them)
- siblings

This kid was probably at least some level of ADHD, which would partially explain the randomness of the topics (and the often illogical links between them!), but it was still really entertaining to realize all that we had covered in less than a half an hour. The things kids come up with never cease to amaze me. But more than that is what they teach me, even when they're not trying.

No comments: